Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cobie Smulders Talks The Avengers, Joss Whedon And 'Maria Hill' Preparations!

Appearing on the latest How I Met Your Mother podcast episode, actress Cobie Smulders discussed her 'Maria Hill' role in Marvel Studios' summer blockbuster The Avengers, her multi-picture deal, and ultimate praise for director Joss Whedon. Although it's nothing much revealing, check out what she says below
Cobie Smulders Talks The Avengers,
Joss Whedon And 'Maria Hill' Preparations!
On how many Marvel movies she's signed up for...
"Plus this one, seven more I think. This doesn't mean I'm doing seven films - just means if they like me, then they'll have me on more."
On any surprises working on a film of this size...
"Yes, everything. I had no idea what it was gonna be like at all. I was so happy to see a friendly face in Joss Whedon because I know him socially. - But [the film] was huge; the magnitude of it. I mean, just the amount of people it takes to make a film like this and move out to Albuquerque, New Mexico; People were working on the movie almost seven months before I arrived there."

On what it's like working with Joss Whedon again...
"A dream. It was very handy to work with him because I was very intimated. There were a lot of extremely talented, very famous, people working on this film. And I felt very green. And he was so kind to me and I really feel he brought out the best in me performance wise. I really went in there going like, 'I will do whatever you want me to do Sir.'"

On training for the none-physically demanding role...
"I hired this amazing black-ops trainer to teach me how to hold a gun, take me to a shooting range, how to hit, how to hold myself, how to walk and basically how to look. I don't do a ton of fighting in the movie, which is why I wasn't offered a trainer, but I wanted to look like I had the ability to. And I really just got down and dirty with the character, but then I finally went on set; when you're about to roll, all the "blubbity blue" you've been working on kind of messes with. And you become a little bit detached."


Something else I found rather cool in the interview was Cobie somewhat explaining the character's background. For instance, she noted that Maria Hill was from Chicago in the comics, and evidently in the film. And before the cameras began rolling, she thought about how a Chicagoan would act, and how she could incorporate that in her performance. Anyhow, like I said, it's nothing much.

 Marvel's The Avengers picks up when an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security. And Nick Fury, director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. With director Joss Whedon at it's helm, and an ensemble cast including Chris Evans (Steve Rogers), Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark), Chris Hemsworth (Thor Odinson), Jeremy Renner (Clint Barton), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner), Scarlett Johansson (Natasha Romanoff), Clark Gregg (Agt. Phil Coulson), Cobie Smulders (Maria Hill), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), with Tom Hiddleston (Loki Laufeyson), and Stellan Skarsgard (Professor Erik Selvig), the film releases worldwide May 4, 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment